- Barbour, M.T., J. Gerritsen, B.D. Snyder, and J.B. Stribling. 1999. Rapid bioassessment protocols for use in streams and wadable rivers: periphyton, benthic macroinvertebrates and fish. 2nd edition. EPA 841-B-99-002. U.S. Environmental Protectin Agency, Office of Water, Washington, D.C.
- Cairns, J. and J. R. Pratt. 1993. A history of biological monitoring using benthic macroinvertebrates. Pages 10-27 in: Freshwater Biomonitoring and Benthic Macroinvertebrates (D. M. Rosenberg and V. H. Resh, eds.). Chapman and Hall, New York.
- Hawkes, H. A. 1979. Invertebrates as indicators of river water quality. Pages 2-1 to 2-45 in: A. James and L. Evison (eds.), Biological Indicators of Water Quality. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Hellawell, J. M. 1986. Biological Indicators of Freshwater Pollution and Environmental Management. Elsevier Applied Science, London, England.
- Merritt, R.W. and K.W. Cummins. 1996. An Introduction to the Aquatic Insects of North America. 3rd edition. Kendall-Hunt, Dubuque, IA.
- Peckarsky, B.L., P.R. Fraissinet, M.A. Penton, and D.J. Conklin. 1990. Freshwater Macroinvertebrates of Northeastern North America. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.
- Poten, C. 1996. River for renewal: A look at the restoration potential of the Schuylkill River. Delaware River Keeper Network, Pottstown, PA.
- Resh, V. H. and J. K. Jackson. 1993. Rapid assessment approaches in benthic macroinvertebrate biomonitoring studies. Pages 195-233 in: D. M. Rosenberg and V. H. Resh (eds.), Freshwater biomonitoring and benthic macroinvertebrates. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- Rosenberg, D. M., and V. H. Resh (editors). 1993. Freshwater Biomonitoring and Benthic Macroinvertebrates. Routledge, Chapman and Hall, New York.
- Smith, E.P. and J.R. Voshell, Jr. 1997. Studies of benthicmacroinvertebrates and fish in streams within EPA Region 3 for development of biological indicators of ecological condition. Part 1. Benthic Macroinvertebrates. Final report for Cooperative Agreement CF821462010. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Summary of Biological Assessment Programs and Biocriteria Development for States, Tribes, Territories, and Interstate Commissions: Streams and Wadeable Rivers (EPA-822-R-02-048).
- Weber, C. I. 1973. Biological field and laboratory methods for measuring the quality of surface waters and effluents. EPA-670/4-73-001.