Reports to: Director of Strategic Partnerships and Institutional Advancement
Location: Avondale, Pennsylvania
About Stroud Water Research Center
Water is life; without it, we cannot exist.
Protecting freshwater ecosystems and ensuring sustainable, equitable access to clean water underpins progress towards society’s most important goals. Understanding the science of water is fundamental to our ability to protect this finite and vital resource.
For more than 50 years, Stroud™ Water Research Center has focused on one thing: fresh water. A 501c(3) nonprofit, non-advocacy environmental organization, our mission is to advance knowledge and stewardship of freshwater systems. We achieve this through global scientific research, education, and watershed restoration. Our work is helping organizations and individuals make informed decisions affecting water quality and availability around the world.
This newly created position represents a unique opportunity to shape the brand, messaging, and marketing strategy of a highly respected and impactful nonprofit organization influencing the future of fresh water.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for strategic planning, development and direct implementation of the Stroud Center’s marketing and digital engagement, grassroots fundraising, communications, and public relations. A member of the leadership team, the director will be involved in organization-wide strategic and operational planning, and serve as a key translator and motivator for all stakeholders, internal and external.
As part of a small but mighty team of passionate, dedicated, and purpose-driven professionals, the Director of Marketing and Communications will play an instrumental role in catalyzing local, national, and international awareness and support for the Stroud Center — expanding its impact and ensuring smart, sustainable solutions for freshwater preservation around the world.
Strategy and Management (15%)
- Develops and executes an overarching marketing and communications strategy to drive attainment of the Stroud Center’s revenue and awareness objectives.
- Sets goals and objectives; establishes an evaluation system to track progress; reports results.
- Ensures that the appropriate systems, staff resources, and procedures are in place to effectively support marketing and communications.
- Develops an annual marketing and communications budget; monitors progress and ensures adherence.
- Contributes to the Stroud Center’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee goals; holds a rotating role on the committee.
- Leads the Board of Director’s Communications Committee.
- Supervises communications staff.
Brand and Communications (25%)
- Oversees and implements branding and messaging across the organization.
- Develops compelling and segmented messaging across external stakeholder audiences; this includes distilling complex science concepts.
- Maintains an organizational brand, style, and messaging guide.
- Working closely with leads across departments, develops and implements communications strategies and effective messaging for organizational and project-specific goals.
- Assists science and technical staff in ensuring our communications are accessible, effective, and reach diverse audiences.
- Leads the internal communications committee and serves as a central communications resource.
Marketing Content and Digital Engagement (50%)
- Develops and leads the execution of a strategic marketing plan and content calendar to drive donations and engagement, with a focus on digital.
- Manages the Stroud Center’s social media.
- In coordination with the Director of Strategic Partnerships and Institutional Advancement and Director of Development, develop integrated fundraising campaigns and promotions to meet revenue and engagement goals, including growing a diverse and engaged supporter base.
- Develops collateral in support of fundraising efforts.
- Provides marketing support around fundraising and community engagement events.
- Inspires, engages, and broadens the Stroud Center community of supporters and advocates.
- Oversees the development, design, distribution, and maintenance of high-quality print and electronic collateral. For example, newsletters, annual reports, and presentations.
- Defines the strategy and leads the management of the Stroud Center website; ensures the main website as well as related websites supports the brand positioning and compels actions.
- Develops look, feel, and content of websites, with input from key internal stakeholder and working closely with the Web Developer.
Media Relations and Thought Leadership (10%)
- Oversees media relations for the Stroud Center and serves as a primary point of contact for inquiries and communicating our science, education and restoration work. Conducts targeted, proactive media outreach.
- Helps develop a long-term strategy and annual plan to establish the Stroud Center as a thought leader among influential audiences and shape the global agenda on fresh water and related impacts (i.e. climate change, sustainable agriculture, etc.) via conferences, speaking engagements, media, publications.
- Helps build a network of engaged influencers to catalyze awareness across diverse segments (media, celebrity, sector leaders, etc.).
- Represents the Stroud Center externally through engagements and collaborative initiatives.
Note: Time percentage allocations are approximate and subject to change as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- The ideal candidate has scientific training and expertise, through formal education and/or professional expertise.
- Understands and appreciates the value of nature and importance of generating and disseminating new knowledge to help conserve it for future generations.
- Bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree (preferred) related to marketing, communications, fundraising, or nonprofit, business, or public administration.
- Ability to read peer-reviewed scientific and professional literature and distill into relatable concepts.
- At least 8 years of experience in marketing/communications/development positions.
- Professional or educational background that includes environmental science, education, or a related field is a strong plus.
- Demonstrated track record of success in setting and meeting marketing strategies and goals, and driving donor engagement and giving.
- Deep knowledge of current and evolving trends in nonprofit marketing and fundraising, with expertise in social media and digital.
- Superb marketing acumen and communication skills.
- Ability to distill complex technical information into relatable and compelling messages.
- Passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Motivated and self-directed. Able to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff, funders, and board members.
- Strong computer and software skills; prior experience with Blackbaud and Adobe Design Suite preferred.
- Familiarity with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development goals and the social change sector.
- Is willing to travel, as needed.
Salary and Benefits
Pay will be commensurate with qualifications/experience. Benefits include generous employer contributions towards medical and dental plans, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, unemployment insurance, workers’ compensation, defined benefit pension plan (vested after five years) and paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, use the application form below to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact details for three professional references as a SINGLE ATTACHMENT. The name of the attached file should start with the applicant’s last name (e.g., LASTNAME_RESUME.PDF). No phone calls please.
Stroud Water Research Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.