Landowner and Community Resources
Stroud Center Resources
- Landowner guide to buffer success: a comprehensive seasonal guide for your forested buffer project. 2007. United States Department of Agriculture Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program.
- Pennsylvania Stream ReLeaf: a plan for restoring and conserving buffers along Pennsylvania streams.
- Riparian forest buffers: function and design for protection and enhancement of water resources. 1991. United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Area State & Private Forestry, Forest Resources Management, Radnor, Pennsylvania. Documents the ecological benefits of riparian forests and the structure and function of buffers as a best management tool including a recommended buffer width diagram.
- Conserving Forests to Protect Water. Journal article discussing the results from a 2002 survey of water suppliers which found that water treatment costs for utilities using primarily surface water supplies varied depending on amount of forest cover in the watershed.
- Stream Corridor Protection Strategy for Local Governments. A publication developed at the University of Virginia to help local government staff and others formulate protection strategies for their streams, in order to protect the health of their communities.
- Protecting the Source: Land Conservation and the Future of America’s Drinking Water. A publication from the Trust for Public Land and American Water Works Association, presenting a series of best practices to guide communities’ source protection efforts and showcase communities that are linking land and water protection effectively.
- Tree shelters can be purchased from TubexUSA.