Watershed Restoration Publications
Publications by Stroud Center Scientists
Select Publications from Other Organizations and Individuals
- Dutcher, D., J.C. Finley, A. E. Luloff, and J. Johnson. 2004. Landowner perceptions of protecting and establishing riparian forests: A qualitative analysis. Society and Natural Resources 17:319. doi: 10.1080/08941920490278773
- Bentrup, G. 2008. Conservation buffers: design guidelines for buffers, corridors, and greenways. General Technical Report SRS-109. Asheville, North Carolina: Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station.
- Chesapeake 2000 Agreement. Commonwealth of Virginia, State of Maryland, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, District of Columbia, United States Environmental Protection Agency, and the Chesapeake Bay Commission.
- Correll, D. 2003. Vegetated stream riparian zones: Their effects on stream nutrients, sediments, and toxic substances. An annotated and indexed bibliography of the world literature, including buffer strips and interactions with hyporheic zones and floodplains.
- Davies, P. E., and M. Nelson. 1994. Relationships between riparian buffer widths and the effects of logging on stream habitat, invertebrate community composition and fish abundance. Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 45:1289–1305. doi: 10.1071/MF9941289
- Dukes, M. D., R. O. Evans, J. W. Gilliam, and S. H. Kunickis. 2002. Effect of riparian buffer width and vegetation type on shallow groundwater quality in the Middle Coastal Plain of North Carolina. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers 45:327–336. doi: 10.13031/2013.8528
- Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002. Public Law 107–171, USA.
- Hickey, M. B. C., and B. Doran. 2004. A review of the efficiency of buffer strips for the maintenance and enhancement of riparian ecosystems. Water Quality Research Journal of Canada 39:311–317. Request PDF
- Johnson, S. L., and J.A. Jones. 2000. Stream temperature responses to forest harvest and debris flows in western Cascades, Oregon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:30–39. doi: 10.1139/f00-109
- Kelly, D. J., M. L. Bothwell, and D. W. Schindler. 2003. Effects of solar ultraviolet radiation on stream benthic communities: an intersite comparison. Ecology 84(10):2724–2740. doi: 10.7939/R32N4ZN4K
- Lee, K. E., R. M. Goldstein, and P. E. Hanson. 2001. Relation between fish communities and riparian zone conditions at two spatial scales. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 37:1465–1473. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2001.tb03653.x
- Lee, P., C. Smyth, and S. Boutin. 2004. Quantitative review of riparian buffer width guidelines from Canada and the United States. Journal of Environmental Management 70:165–180. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2003.11.009
- Lowrance, R., R. G. Williams, S. R. Inamdar, D. D. Bosch, and J. M. Sheridan. 2001. Evaluation of coastal plain conservation buffers using the riparian ecosystem management model. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 37:1445–1455. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2001.tb03651.x
- Phillips, J. D. 1989. Nonpoint source pollution control effectiveness of riparian forests along a coastal plain river. Journal of Hydrology 110:221-237. doi: 10.1016/0022-1694(89)90189-3
- Rutherford, J. C., R. J. Davies-Colley, J. M. Quinn, M. J. Stroud, and A. B. Cooper. 1997. Stream shade: Towards a restoration strategy. National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd., Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Sonoda, K., J. A. Yeakley, and C. E. Walker. 2001. Near-stream landuse effects on streamwater nutrient distribution in an urbanizing watershed. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 37:1517–1532. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2001.tb03657.x
- Spackman, S., and J. W. Hughes. 1995. Assessment of minimum stream corridor width for biological conservation: species richness and distribution along mid-order streams in Vermont, USA. Biological Conservation 71:325–332. doi: 10.1016/0006-3207(94)00055-U
- Stewart, J. S., L. Z. Wang, J. Lyons, J. A. Horwatich, and R. Bannerman. 2001. Influences of watershed, riparian-corridor, and reach-scale characteristics on aquatic biota in agricultural watersheds. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 37:1475–1487. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2001.tb03654.x
- Schmitt, T. J., M. G. Dosskey, and K. D. Hoagland. 1999. Filter strip performance for different vegetation, widths, and contaminants. Journal of Environmental Quality 28:1479–1489. doi:10.2134/jeq1999.00472425002800050013x
- Vellidis, G., R. Lowrance, P. Gay, and R. K. Hubbard. 2003. Nutrient transport in a restored riparian wetland. Journal of Environmental Quality 32:711–726. doi:10.2134/jeq2003.7110
- Wenger, S. 1999. A review of the scientific literature on riparian buffer width, extent, and vegetation. Publication of the Office of Public Service and Outreach, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia.