Research Scientist Emeritus
Ecosystem Processes Group
tel. 610-268-2153, ext. 1227
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
- Ph.D., Aquatic Ecology, University of California, Berkeley, California.
- M.S., Hydrology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York.
- B.S., Engineering, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania.
Interests and Expertise
The flow of nutrients (primarily nitrogen, phosphorus, and carbon) to streams and rivers and how those nutrients are processed, transformed, and transported by the stream and river ecosystem.
- Research Scientist Emeritus, Stroud Water Research Center, 2011–present.
- Research Scientist, Stroud Water Research Center, 1993–2011.
- Assistant Curator, Stroud Water Research Center of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1985–1992.
- Ruth Patrick Scholar, Stroud Water Research Center, Division of Environmental Research, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. 1983–1985.
- Research Staff Member, Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1982–1983.
- Research Associate, Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1977–1982.
- Eugene P. Wigner Postdoctoral Fellow, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1977–1979.
Stable isotope and conservative tracer data used to estimate uptake of stream water dissolved organic carbon (DOC) through a whole-stream addition of a 13C-DOC tracer coupled with laboratory measurements of bioavailability of the tracer and stream water DOC using lability profiling with bioreactors