Assistant Research Scientist
- Principal Investigator, Biogeochemistry Group
610-268-2153, ext. 263
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Interests and Expertise
My research seeks to improve our knowledge about the elemental cycles in streams, rivers, and estuaries and how they are linked to each other, to the water cycle, and to the terrestrial ecosystem at the surface and the subsurface level. Some of my current research interests include the nitrogen and phosphorus transport and transformation in fluvial systems and how human activities such as agriculture and urbanization can affect these processes; the quantification and characterization of the multiple carbon pools and fluxes in aquatic ecosystems and their role in global climate change; and the effects of emerging contaminants, like pharmaceutical products and microplastics, on the health of streams and rivers. My expertise includes aquatic ecosystems in temperate and tropical zones and along the full river continuum, from headwaters, to large rivers, to estuaries and the coastal ocean.
- Ph.D., Environmental Sciences, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
- M.S., Environmental Sciences, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
- B.S., Chemistry, University of Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica.
- Assistant Research Scientist, Stroud Water Research Center, 2017–present.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Marine Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, 2013–2017.
- Associate Instructor, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 2011–2013.
- Teaching Assistant, Analytical and organic chemistry laboratories, University of Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica, 2004–2007.
- Research Assistant, Natural Products Research Center, University of Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica, 2004–2007.