With the approval of the Society for Freshwater Science (SFS), the Taxonomic Certification Committee (TCC) will develop policies, standards, and procedures regarding taxonomic certification. The TCC is a SFS standing committee, consisting of a chair, a co-chair, and up to nine other members (total 11 members).
In order to implement and manage the Taxonomic Certification Program, a Taxonomic Program Coordinator is appointed by the TCC to develop and maintain the various aspects of the program. The Coordinator is selected by the TCC and functions under the TCC’s supervision, but will not be a member of the TCC. The Coordinator must be a member of SFS in good standing.
The TCC will be directly responsible for ensuring that the Coordinator executes all duties as identified.
- Bernard Sweeney, Ph.D. (co-chair), president and distinguished research scientist, Stroud Water Research Center.
- John Morse, Ph.D. (co-chair), professor emeritus of entomology, director emeritus of the Clemson University Arthropod Collection, Plant and Environmental Sciences Department, Clemson University.
- Michael Floyd, fish and wildlife biologist, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
- Gary Lester, chief executive officer, EcoAnalysts, Inc.
- Richard Mitchell, Ph.D., biologist; technical lead for the National Rivers and Streams Assessment; Office of Water, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Tony Roux, senior environmental specialist, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
- Andrew Short, Ph.D., curator, Division of Entomology, University of Kansas Biodiversity Institute & Natural History Museum; associate professor, Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, University of Kansas.
- Sarah Spaulding, Ph.D., aquatic ecologist, U.S. Geological Survey.
- James (Sam) Stribling, Ph.D., director, Integrated Ecological Assessments, Tetra Tech, Inc., Center for Ecological Sciences.
- Mark Wetzel, Ph.D., aquatic oligochaetologist/macroinvertebrate zoologist, Illinois Natural History Survey, Prairie Research Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.