Distinguished Research Scientist
Adjunct Professor of Biology, Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania
tel. 610-268-2153, ext. 300
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Interests and Expertise
The role of water quality monitoring in conservation, population and community ecology of temperate and tropical aquatic invertebrates; pollution assessment in temperate and tropical streams using macroinvertebrates; the role of streamside forests in the structure and function of stream and river ecosystems; factors affecting the growth and survivorship of trees in riparian forests; the effects of global warming on stream ecosystems; genetic variation and gene flow among populations of stream insects; the effects of diel and seasonal temperature change on aquatic insect populations; evolution of facultative parthenogenesis in aquatic insects; bioenergetics and secondary production of aquatic insects; and the bioassay of toxic materials in aquatic systems.
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, Population Biology/Zoology.
- B.S., Delaware Valley College of Science and Agriculture, Biology.
- Distinguished Research Scientist, Stroud Water Research Center, December 2017–present.
- President, Distinguished Research Scientist, Stroud Water Research Center, 2017.
- President, Executive Director, Curator, Director, Stroud Water Research Center, 1999–2016.
- Vice President, Asociación Centro de Investigación Stroud, San José, Costa Rica, 1991–present.
- Curator, Executive Director, Stroud Water Research Center of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia; Vice-President, Curator, Environmental Group, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1996–1999.
- Associate Curator, Executive Director, Stroud Water Research Center of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1988–1996.
- Assistant Curator, Stroud Water Research Center of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1978–1988.