These lists of keys are suggested lists, they are not comprehensive and there may be taxa included in the taxonomic certification examinations that are not included in the more general keys (e.g., Merritt and Cummins). We expect taxonomists to be aware of recent literature changes and know how to identify the genera even though there may not be any keys. A good taxonomist needs to know how to work in the absence of “keys.” While we will attempt to include primary literature it is the candidate’s responsibility to be familiar with the current status of the group in question.
- Keys for Group 1: Other Arthropods
- Keys for Group 2: Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera, Trichoptera
- Keys for Group 3: Chironomidae
- Keys for Group 4: Oligochaeta
- Keys for Group 6: Diatoms
Online resource: Macroinvertebrates.org, the Atlas of Common Freshwater Macroinvertebrates of Eastern North America