These lists of keys are suggested lists, they are not comprehensive and there may be taxa included in the taxonomic certification examinations that are not included in the more general keys (e.g., Merritt and Cummins). We expect taxonomists to be aware of recent literature changes and know how to identify the genera even though there may not be any keys. A good taxonomist needs to know how to work in the absence of “keys.” While we will attempt to include primary literature it is the candidate’s responsibility to be familiar with the current status of the group in question.
- Andersen, T., P.S. Cranston, and J.H. Epler (editors). 2013. Chironomidae of the Holarctic Region: Keys and Diagnoses, Part 1: Larvae. Entomology Society of Lund, Sweden.
- Chironomidae images by Peter Cranston, with descriptions and taxonomic and ecological notes. http://chirokey.skullisland.info/#taxa
- Epler, J. H. 2001. Identification manual for the larval Chironomidae (Diptera) of North and South Carolina. A guide to the taxonomy of the midges of the southeastern United States, including Florida. Special Publication SJ2001-SP13. North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Raleigh, NC and St. Johns River Water Management District, Palatka, Florida. Download PDF
- Coffman, W.P., and L.C. Ferrington Jr. 1996. Chironomidae. Pages 635–754 in Merritt, R.W., and K.W. Cummins (editors). An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 3rd edition. Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., Dubuque, Iowa. ISBN-13: 978-0787232412.
- Namayandeh, A., K.S. Heard, E.A. Luiker, and J.M. Culp. 2016. Chironomidae (Insecta: Diptera) from the eastern Canadian Arctic and subarctic with descriptions of new life stages, a possible new genus, and new geographical records. Journal of Entomological and Acarological Research 48(2):53–83. https://doi.org/10.4081/jear.2016.5847
- Oliver, D.R., and M.E. Dillon. 1994. Corrections and additions to “A catalog of Nearctic Chironomidae.” Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 96:8–10.
- Oliver, D.R., M.E. Dillon, and P.S. Cranston. 1990. A catalog of Nearctic Chironomidae. Canadian Government Publishing Centre. ISBN-13: 978-0660558394.