School and Youth Programs
- View program fees.
- Begin the program registration process.
- Download Freshwater Ecology Unit: A Resource for Educators and Students (handouts and activities to accompany your field trip or program).
- Download the Stream Ecology Program brochure.
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visits to the Stroud Center
A Boots-in-the-Water Experience for Your Students
Far from the classroom, students will explore White Clay Creek and the surrounding watershed. They’ll collect aquatic bugs, use a dichotomous key, and perform water chemistry tests while learning how scientists determine the health of streams and rivers. Stroud™ Water Research Center is a working laboratory, so education programs are developed from our scientists’ research. The Moorhead Environmental Complex is the home of the Stroud Center’s student laboratories and serves as an example of freshwater stewardship put into action. Located just a short walk upstream, our outdoor classroom enhances the field-based learning experience.
- Stream School: Using the Stroud Center’s 1,800-acre experimental watershed as a living laboratory, students explore the physical, chemical, and biological characteristics of streams. Specific activities include a macroinvertebrate survey, habitat assessment, and chemical analysis of a stream system. Four-hour program for up to 24 students. Maximum of two classes per day.
Programs at Your School or Field Site
Can’t come to us? No problem — we’ll come to you! Outreach programs into schools provide classroom and schoolyard activities as well as events serving the entire school population. Programs can be tailored to meet your needs.
- Stream Critters Go To School: What lives in local streams? How do these animals eat and breathe? Students in grades 4 – 7 have fun investigating a real stream sample to learn about aquatic insects and stream health. One-hour program.
Program Scholarships Are Available!
There are several funding sources that allow the Stroud Center to offer programs at no or reduced cost for your school or youth group. Our funding from the Pennsylvania Education Improvement Tax Credit program and other grants to subsidize education programs varies each year. Schedule a program for your class today!