Stroud Water Research Center is pleased to announce the expansion of watershed education professional development and training events. Workshops, webinars, and other events are open to preservice teachers, practicing teachers, nonformal educators, citizen scientists, and similar audiences. Some events offer Act 48 continuing education hours for certified teachers, and others include documentation of training hours that educators can submit to their school districts or add to their professional portfolios.
Increasing the number of events in this strategic initiative has been as a result of expanded personnel capacity in our education department and partnerships with other organizations. A recently developed Stream-to-Sky workshop series takes place at the Millersville University Watershed Education Training Institute in partnership with Millersville University’s education and biology departments and is co-taught with Nockamixon State Park Environmental Education Specialist Rebekah Sheeler. The series will include recurring fall sessions for secondary educators and recurring spring sessions for early childhood and elementary educators.
A new partnership with the Chester County Intermediate Unit (CCIU) includes workshops both at the CCIU and the Stroud Center. These workshops include Act 48 hours. Most are free to Chester County teachers, or low-cost to other participants. And for the first time this spring, the Stroud Center is partnering with Longwood Gardens to present two workshops, one at the Stroud Center and one at Longwood Gardens. Act 48 hours are available for these workshops also.
Upcoming Professional Development and Training Events
- February 8: Free Webinars: Introduction to the Leaf Pack Network
- February 16: 21st Century Tools Workshop: Model My Watershed
- February 16: 21st Century Tools Workshop: Water Quality App
- March 10: Slimy Leaves for Healthy Streams: A Training in the Leaf Pack Network
- March 23: Getting Little Feet Wet Curriculum Workshop
- March 24: Eco Teachers: What’s In Your Watershed. Workshop in partnership with Longwood Gardens
- April 11: Early Childhood Education Workshop: From Stream to Sky
- June 20: Turning Your Grounds Into A Classroom! Workshop in partnership with Longwood Gardens