Executive Director, President
Adjunct Professor of Biology, Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania
tel. 610-268-2153, ext. 278
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Interests and Expertise
My research focuses on aquatic primary production, distribution and diversity of aquatic macroinvertebrates, ecohydrology, and the ecology of rivers and flood plains. My interests include riverine landscape ecology and dynamics, aquatic invertebrate, fish and algal ecology, aquatic food web structure and dynamics, habitat conservation, and land-water interactions. Research experiences in Michigan, New Hampshire, Alaska, Minnesota, New York, Italy, Switzerland, New Zealand, and Antarctica have provided me with a broad spectrum of experiences in aquatic habitats from the arctic tundra to the European and Southern Alps to Antarctica.
- Ph.D., Freshwater Ecology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland, conducted at the Swiss Federal Institute of Environmental Science and Technology.
- M.S., Water Resources Management, University of New Hampshire, Department of Natural Resources, Durham, New Hampshire.
- B.S., Biology, Chemistry, and Conservation, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan.
- President, Executive Director, Research Scientist, Stroud Water Research Center, 2017–present.
- Vice President, Executive Director, Research Scientist, Stroud Water Research Center, 2017.
- Vice President, Assistant Director, Research Scientist, Stroud Water Research Center, 2009–2016.
- Freshwater Ecologist, National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2006–2009.
- Project Coordinator/Research Scientist at Stroud Water Research Center, 2003–2006.
- Research Assistant Professor at the University of Minnesota, Crookston, Center for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Crookston, Minnesota, 2002–2003.
- Student Conservation Association Resource Assistant Intern, U.S. Forest Service, Fisheries and Wildlife Division, Ketchikan Rangers District, Alaska, 1994–1995.