Honoring His Career, Ensuring His Legacy
$1 Million Challenge Match Grant generously sponsored by Rod and Alice Moorhead to benefit the Bernard W. Sweeney, Ph.D., Executive Director’s Fund: Your charitable donation will be matched dollar-for-dollar. Help us meet and exceed the $1,000,000 goal! Make an online donation now or contact Executive Director David Arscott, Ph.D., with any questions about making a gift or a multi-year pledge.
Stroud Water Research Center, which advances knowledge and stewardship of fresh water, is seeking funding for the new Bernard W. Sweeney, Ph.D., Executive Director’s Fund to further outreach through community-empowerment programs regionally and around the world.
Supporting the fund will provide funding for current and future directors to strategically utilize for critical center-wide initiatives specifically for research, education, and watershed restoration projects.
As a young Ph.D. student under Ruth Patrick, Sweeney began his internship at the Stroud Center in June of 1973. He became the second executive director on April 11, 1988, a role he filled for the next 28 years. Some of his notable accomplishments include the following:
- Launched our education program for schools and community outreach. We currently serve more than 5,000 individuals in educational outreach each year.
- Opened the Maritza Station in Costa Rica. This led to a series of tropical studies and education programs throughout Central and South America.
- Guided separation from the Academy of Natural Sciences. Under Sweeney’s leadership, the Stroud Center became an independent 501(c)(3) on October 1, 1999.
- Added Watershed Restoration to our mission. Sweeney’s research has led him to the conclusion that trees are vitally important for healthy streams.
- Created a global presence. Sweeney’s research and expertise has helped us to develop relationships with countries near and far, expanding our footprint.
To learn more, go to the Special Gifts page. Please contact Director of Development Nicole Wickenhauser to inquire about making a gift or multi-year pledge within any of the fund areas. EIN: 52-2081073
About Stroud Water Research Center
Stroud Water Research Center seeks to advance knowledge and stewardship of freshwater systems through global research, education, and restoration and to help businesses, landowners, policymakers, and individuals make informed decisions that affect water quality and availability around the world. Stroud Water Research Center is an independent, 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.