Adjunct Research Scientist
Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Marine Science and Policy, College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment, University of Delaware
Adjunct Faculty, Delaware Environmental Institute (DENIN), University of Delaware
Ph.D. University of Washington, Chemical Oceanography
M.Sc. University of Washington, Chemical Oceanography
B.A. Dartmouth College, Chemistry
Interests and Expertise
- Investigating the processes of organic matter cycling throughout watersheds — from soils to rivers to estuaries.
- Elucidating the interplay between degradation and sorption processes in determining the composition and ultimate fate of organic matter within river systems.
- Employing diverse analytical and experimental techniques to answer hypothesis-driven questions.
- Inorganic: Concentrations, isotopic compositions and fluxes of CO2, O2, nutrients and major ions.
- Organic: Stable and radio- isotopes (13C, 14C, 15N, etc.), elemental and biochemical compositions (amino acids, lignins, etc.) and spectroscopy (NMR, IR, etc.).
- Biological: Incubations to assess rates of total heterotrophic respiration, and microbial uptake and transformation of specific compounds (NO3, NH4, organic substrates, etc.).
- Synthesizing observation and theory into quantitative models of various types in order to guide new experiments and theory.
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, NSF International Research Fellowship Program.
tel. 610-268-2153, ext. 263
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311