Creek Critters is a finalist for the 2021 AAAS/Subaru Prize for Excellence in Science Books, Hands-On Science Book category
By Jennifer Keats Curtis with Stroud Water Research Center
Illustrated by Phyllis Saroff
32 pg, 8.5 x 10
Reading level is appropriate for upper elementary school students. Adults may also find this book engaging when read to younger children.
Do you like scavenger hunts? How do you tell if creek water is clean and healthy? Join Lucas and his sister as they act like scientists looking for certain kinds of stream bugs (aquatic macroinvertebrates) that need clean, unpolluted water to survive. What will they find as they turn over rocks, pick up leaves and sort through the mud? Read along to find out if their creek gets a passing grade. Also available in Spanish!
Where to Purchase
- A limited number of hardcover and paperback copies will be available for purchase at Stroud Water Research Center events.
- Hardcover, paperback, and eBook editions are available from Arbordale Publishing.
- Hardcover and paperback editions are also available from Amazon.
- Ask for Creek Critters at your favorite book store!
Enrich your storytime with these printable resources:
- For Creative Minds: This educational section at the back of each Creek Critters book can be downloaded in Spanish and English. Includes a scavenger hunt, scientific field notebook, life cycle matching activity, and aquatic macroinvertebrate sensitivity chart.
- Teaching Activity Guide: This 19-page supplement to Creek Critters includes important curricular extensions in Spanish and English for educators, teachers, homeschooling parents, and parents/caregivers. Includes pre-reading questions, reading comprehension activities, vocabulary, and more!