The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)/Subaru SB&F Prize for Excellence in Science Books celebrates outstanding science writing and illustration for children and young adults. We are thrilled to announce that Creek Critters, written by Jennifer Keats Curtis with Stroud Water Research Center, is one of four finalists in the 2021 Hands-On Science Book category!
To be considered for the prize, hands-on science books must:
- Be accessible to all and contain fun investigations, opening the door to even more things to explore.
- Contain inquiry-based activities that encourage readers to explore scientific concepts by asking good questions.
- Enable readers to develop problem-solving and research skills that help them become lifelong learners.
The AAAS/Subaru Prize for Excellence in Science Books seeks to encourage the writing and publishing of high-quality science books for all age groups. AAAS believes that good science books will foster a better understanding and appreciation of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
In addition to the Hands-On Science Book category, the prize also recognizes excellence in the Children’s Science Picture Book, Middle Grades Science Book, and Young Adult Science Book categories. Winners will be announced in January 2021. Update: congratulations to the 2020 Hands-On Science Book winner, This is a Book to Read with a Worm, by Jodi Wheeler-Toppen, illustrated by Margaret McCartney.
Explore Creek Critters
Do you like scavenger hunts? How can you tell if creek water is clean and healthy? Join Lucas and his sister as they act like scientists looking for certain kinds of stream bugs (aquatic macroinvertebrates) that need clean, unpolluted water to survive. What will they find as they turn over rocks, pick up leaves, and sort through the mud? Read Creek Critters to discover how stream bugs are the storytellers of our streams.
“Beautifully illustrated by the artwork of Phyllis Saroff, and deftly written by Jennifer Keats Curtis in collaboration with Stroud Water Research Center, Creek Critters is a unique and unreservedly recommended addition to family, elementary school, and community library [STEM picturebook] collections.” – The Midwest Book Review
Where to Purchase Creek Critters
- A limited number of hardcover and paperback copies will be available for purchase at Stroud Center events.
- Hardcover, paperback, and eBook editions are available from Arbordale Publishing.
- Hardcover and paperback editions are also available from Amazon.
- Ask for Creek Critters at your favorite book store!
FREE Creek Critters Printables
Enrich your Creek Critters storytime with printable resources:
- For Creative Minds: This educational section at the back of each Creek Critters book can be downloaded in Spanish and English. Includes a scavenger hunt, scientific field notebook, life cycle matching activity, and aquatic macroinvertebrate sensitivity chart.
- Teaching Activity Guide: This 19-page supplement to Creek Critters includes important curricular extensions in Spanish and English for educators, teachers, homeschooling parents, and parents/caregivers. Includes pre-reading questions, reading comprehension activities, vocabulary, and more!