HerStory in STREAM
- This event has passed.
HerStory in STREAM
- What: A free, four-part program empowering today’s girls in freshwater science, technology, recreation, engineering, art, and math (STREAM). Please note! We ask that you attend at least two of the first three sessions (Fall 2022, Winter 2023, Spring 2023). You must also attend the final session in June 2023.
- Where: Various locations; see session listing below.
- Audience: We welcome Chester County, Pennsylvania middle to high school (ages roughly 11-17) cis girls, trans girls, non-binary youth, gender-non-conforming youth, and/or all youth who experience girlhood as part of their unique journey.
- Cost: Free. Registration is required, limited to 35 participants.
This series is full!
Join Stroud Water Research Center for HerStory in STREAM, a free four-season environmental education program (one session per season) that empowers today’s youth to become tomorrow’s leaders in freshwater science, technology, recreation, engineering, art, and math (STREAM).
Shadow watershed scientists during hands-on outdoor experiences in freshwater careers, canoeing, water chemistry, aquatic insects, stream habitats, environmental engineering, community science water-quality monitoring, and so much more!
HerStory in STREAM brings together young female trailblazers for at least two of three engaging programs that form the exciting STREAM Summit:
- Canoeing & Chemistry Session: Saturday, November 5, 2022, 1:30–5:30 p.m. at Marsh Creek State Park, Western Side Boat Launch. Paddle a lake teeming with aquatic life, dive into water quality monitoring with hands-on water chemistry experiments, discover new connections between human and watershed health, and explore freshwater habitats teeming with life!
- Community Science & Engineering Session: January 2023 (date to be determined) at the Stroud Center. Shadow environmental scientists and engineers to learn how “stream robots” like the EnviroDIY Mayfly Data Logger remotely collect data to protect waterways worldwide. Experience a hands-on, minds-on session programming sensors to take real water quality data with an optional behind-the-scenes tour of the Stroud Center!
- World Water Day Session: Wednesday, March 22, 2023, at the Stroud Center. Work alongside a real Stroud Center scientist as we showcase our research at this public event celebrating water worldwide! Get your boots wet (loaner gear provided) to collect live aquatic insects and fish – some of the most powerful storytellers of our streams – and explore stream habitats and watershed tea.
- STREAM Summit Session: June 2023 (date to be determined) at the Stroud Center. Gather with fellow change-makers, engage with a panel of STREAM career professionals, complete a stewardship action project for healthy water (e.g., tree planting, environmental awareness project), and share your own story in the future of fresh water! Friends, families, and community members are all welcome to attend.
Questions? Please contact Kathryn Metzker.