HerStory in STREAM
- This event has passed.
HerStory in STREAM
- What: A free, four-part program empowering today’s girls in freshwater science, technology, recreation, engineering, art, and math (STREAM). Please note! We ask that you attend at least two of the first three sessions (September 16, October 7, November 4). You must also attend the final session on December 2, 2023.
- Where: Various locations; see session listing below.
- Audience: We welcome Chester County, Pennsylvania, middle to high school (ages roughly 11–17) cis girls, trans girls, nonbinary youth, gender-nonconforming youth, and/or all youth who experience girlhood as part of their unique journey.
- Cost: Free. Registration is required and limited to 40 participants.
Please note: Registration for Session 2 is limited to 20 participants.
This program is full.
Join Stroud Water Research Center for HerStory in STREAM, a free four-season environmental education program (one session per season) that empowers today’s youth to become tomorrow’s leaders in freshwater science, technology, recreation, engineering, art, and math (STREAM). By joining us, you will complete this program, which includes the following:
- Introductory canoe paddling knowledge.
- Experience with more than six different STREAM subjects.
- Presentation, art, or activity-based project about your science passions.
- Certificate of completion.
- Ideas for future programs, camps, and internships.
Shadow women watershed scientists during hands-on outdoor experiences with freshwater careers, canoeing, water chemistry, aquatic insects, stream habitats, environmental engineering, community science water quality monitoring, and so much more!
HerStory in STREAM brings together young female trailblazers for three engaging programs that lead to the the exciting STREAM Summit:
- Canoeing and Nature Hike Session: Saturday, September 16, 2023, 1:30–5:30 p.m. at Marsh Creek State Park. Paddle a lake teeming with aquatic life, observe local plants and wildlife on a beautiful hike, and discover how YOU are connected to watershed health!
- STREAM Girls — Stream Study and Fishing: Saturday, October 7, 2023, 9 a.m.–4 p.m. at a Chester County location (TBA). Join us for a fun-filled day to study the chemistry, macroinvertebrates, and fluvial geomorphology of a stream while learning the basics of fly fishing. Get boots-in-the-water experience, wading in the stream to get up close with freshwater life and science..
- Forestry and Technology: Saturday, November 4, 2023, 1:30–5:30 p.m. at the Stroud Center. What does technology have to do with forests or stream health? Learn how to use mapping websites to model rainfall and learn about the impacts of different land cover in Chester County. Learn the important role of trees in maintaining healthy watersheds. Then get outside to explore the Stroud Center’s acres of woods and take action to help the earth as we plant trees!
- STREAM Summit Session: Saturday, December 2, 2023, 1:30–5:30 p.m. at the Stroud Center. Gather with fellow changemakers, complete a stewardship action project for healthy water (e.g., a tree planting or environmental awareness project), and share your own story as part of the future of fresh water! Friends, families, and community members are all welcome to attend.
Questions? Please contact Kathryn Metzker.