Research Scientist Emeritus
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania
- Affiliate Faculty, Delaware Environmental Institute, University of Delaware
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Interests and Expertise
Dissolved organic matter biogeochemistry, aquatic microbial ecology, and nutrient cycling.
- Ph.D., Biology (Limnology), University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- M.S., Ecology, University of California, Davis, California.
- B.A., Environmental Sciences, Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Research Scientist Emeritus, Stroud Water Research Center, 2018–present.
- Director, Ecosystem Science Cluster, Division of Environmental Science, National Science Foundation, 2015–2018.
- Senior Research Scientist, Stroud Water Research Center, 1999–2017.
- Curator, Division of Environmental Research, Stroud Water Research Center, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1996–1999.
- Assistant Curator, Division of Environmental Research, Stroud Water Research Center, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1988–1992.
- Research Associate, Division of Environmental Research, Stroud Water Research Center, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1980–1988.
- Post Graduate Research Scientist III, University of California, Davis, California, 1974–1975.
Miller, M.P., E.W. Boyer, D.M. McKnight, M.G. Brown, R.S. Gabor, C.T. Hunsaker, L. Iavorivska, S. Inamdar, D.W. Johnson, L.A. Kaplan, H. Lin, W.H. McDowell, and J.N. Perdrial. 2016. Water Resources Research 52(10):8202–8216.
Kaplan, L.A., and R. Cory. 2016. Pages 241–320 in J.B. Jones and E.H. Stanley (editors). Stream Ecosystems in a Changing Environment. Academic Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Wiegner, T.N., L.A. Kaplan, S.E. Ziegler, R.H. Findlay. 2015. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 75:225–237.
Mosher, J.J., L.A. Kaplan, D.C. Podgorski, A.M. McKenna, and A.G. Marshall. 2015. Biogeochemistry 124(1–3):371–385.
Mosher, J.J., B. Bowman, E.L. Bernberg, O. Shevchenko, J. Kan, J. Korlach, and L.A. Kaplan. 2014. Journal of Microbiological Methods 104:59–60.
A study of small to intermediate size streams in the Área de Conservación Guanacaste in Costa Rica, with the backdrop of a natural and successional mosaic ... Read More
A study of a third order drainage basin in Pennsylvania, examining stream and watershed characteristics associated with riparian zone restoration and reforestation ... Read More
While an intern at the Stroud Center, Kristen Jellison, Ph.D., got her first taste of investigative scientific research, and she was immediately hooked ... Read More
By installing monitoring wells for groundwater, soil-water samplers, and probes to measure the conductivity in soil and groundwater, researchers are testing whether Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection guidelines for passive ... Read More