Director of Education
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Interest and Expertise
Steve Kerlin’s research interests are in environmental and science education, technology to enhance and extend outdoor education, educator professional development, and inquiry-based teaching and learning. He is an Eagle Scout and worked at Custaloga Town Scout Reservation for 10 summers. When not at work, Kerlin enjoys kayaking, rock climbing, backpacking, hiking, and other outdoor adventures with his family.
- Ph.D., curriculum and instruction, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania.
- M.S., curriculum and instruction, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania.
- B.S., secondary education, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania.
- Director of education, Stroud Water Research Center, 2016–present.
- Assistant professor of environmental education/interpretation and youth programming/camp management, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, 2013–2015.
- Statewide specialist in nature center management and Wisconsin Center for Environmental Education Outreach Specialist, University of Wisconsin Extension, 2013–2015.
- Assistant professor of science and environmental education and director of the Center for Environmental Education, Northern Kentucky University, 2009–2013.
- Science teacher, grades 7–9, Penns Valley Area School District, Pennsylvania, 1998–2005.
Protecting our WATERS: a 5E lesson sequence derived from a National Science Foundation- funded middle school watershed sustainability curriculum
Model My Watershed: an investigation into the role of big data, technology, and models in promoting student interest in watershed action
A case study of the effects of a school outdoor learning initiative — spring 2021
Uncharted WATERS: sustaining a meaningful student teaching experience amidst a global pandemic via an online STEM curriculum
Teaching Environmental Sustainability – Model My Watershed: curriculum and teacher guide
See publications by all Stroud Center authors
PA to Meet Rise of STEM Economy With New Education Standards Featuring Environmental Literacy
Watershed on Wheels Makes a Splash at World Water Day Event
Stroud Center Partner Opens New Water Quality Education Center
On the Screen and in the Stream: Expanding Support of Adult Audiences
Tips for Successful Environmental and Sustainability Education Grant Proposals