Macroinvertebrates.org is an interdisciplinary research and development effort to create an innovative resource for aquatic insect identification to support citizen science activities. This National Science Foundation supported project brings together expertise in entomology, learning sciences, software engineering, water quality biomonitoring, and design.
Macroinvertebrates.org offers great resources for training individuals in macroinvertebrate identification including:
- A quick start guide and video tutorial on using macroinvertebrates.org.
- A guide for trainers on when and how to use the site.
- Downloadable illustrations of 13 orders of benthic aquatic macroinvertebrates.
- A printable dichotomous key for order level identification.
- Printable order sheets for Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera, and Trichoptera.
- A printable poster with all 150 specimens in the macroinvertebrates.org collection.
- A Macroinvertebrates 101 volunteer training deck.
Want to try your hand at macroinvertebrate identification? Take the practice quiz!
Macroinvertebrates.org is part of the WikiWatershed® Toolkit, a Stroud Water Research Center initiative to help citizens, conservation practitioners, municipal decision-makers, researchers, educators, and students advance knowledge and stewardship of fresh water.