STREAM Girls Goes Virtual!
- This event has passed.
STREAM Girls Goes Virtual!
- When: Independent completion of activities May 7–May 21, 2021. Attendance is also expected in three online programs: Friday, May 7, 6–7:30 p.m.; Wednesday, May 12, 7–8 p.m.; and Friday, May 21, 6–7:30 p.m. (All times are EDT.)
- Where: Online Zoom instruction with our instructors and independent remote learning with your family or troop.
- Cost: FREE. Includes STREAM Girls Fun Patch, Stroud Water Research Center Education Programs Fun Patch, field notebook, and loaner gear/materials to complete activities remotely.
- Program audience: Girl Scout Juniors (Grades 4-5), Girl Scout Cadettes (Grades 6-8), or ANY individual girl or group of girls (Grades 4-8) local to southeastern to southcentral Pennsylvania. Girls must be able to commute to a designated gear pick-up and drop-off site in the regions of Kennett Square, Avondale, Philadelphia, or Lancaster.
Are you a Girl Scout Junior (Grades 4–5), Cadette (Grades 6–8), or individual girl or group of girls (Grades 4–8) interested in a hands-on, minds-on watershed experience that combines STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) with recreation (fly-casting and fly-tying)? From May 7–21, 2021, the Stroud Center is teaming up with local Trout Unlimited (TU) Chapters to lead a FREE hybrid model of TU STREAM Girls in southeastern to southcentral Pennsylvania! Using loaner gear and educational materials, girls will remotely explore a local stream habitat, discover aquatic insects, learn the art of fly-tying, and practice fly-casting! Join us in empowering today’s girls to become tomorrow’s leaders during COVID-19 and beyond.
COVID-19 Hybrid Program Structure
This special COVID-19 hybrid model will blend online instruction (live Zoom programs and a library of online instructional videos) with remote activities led by families or troops at home or in nearby nature. At the beginning and end of the two-week program, participants must be able to commute to a to-be-determined community site in the Avondale, Kennett Square, Philadelphia, and/or Lancaster area to pick up and drop off loaner gear and educational materials. Face-to-face experiences will NOT occur between STREAM Girls instructors and STREAM Girls participants; however, participants are strongly encouraged to complete remote activities at home and in nearby nature with members of their own household and/or pandemic pods while following CDC guidelines.
In addition to providing participants with an online library of instructional videos and resources, our team of educators and anglers will lead three live Zoom sessions that participants are expected to attend:
- STREAM Girls Zoom Session #1: Friday, May 7, 2021, 6–7:30 p.m. EDT
- STREAM Girls Zoom Session #2: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 7–8 p.m. EDT
- STREAM Girls Zoom Session #3: Friday, May 21, 2021, 6–7:30 p.m. EDT
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a limited number of seats are available. We deeply appreciate your understanding if your troop cannot be served this year, and we look forward to serving all interested groups in future years.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.